Monday, July 11, 2011

Here's to you!

Ste. Chapelle Vineyards
Photo by Meg McKenzie
A barrel at Fraser Winery
Photo by Meg McKenzie
Idaho Wine Girl is a new blog devoted to the vineyards and winemakers of the Snake River AVA in the southwest corner of the 43rd state.

I'm no sommelier, snooty "connoisseur" or Roberta Parker Jr. -- just a writer and wine aficionado who knows a good thing when she sees one! And, judging by the hundreds of wine blogs, newsletters and even iPod apps, I'm not alone in my appreciation of the grape.

Unlike some other wine bloggers, however, I'm not affiliated with any business, shop, distributor, organization or agenda other than to highlight some great people and products of the (quite under-appreciated, I think) Idaho wine country. There are numerous awesome vineyards and tasting rooms here, very different from their brethren in Walla Walla, Yakima and other neighboring AVAs, but just as good -- and the product they are putting out is, on the whole, outstanding. Full disclosure: I do accept ads on my blog, since I have a kid in college and bills to pay, but I am in no way beholden to any special interests.

A pour of the good stuff, at Koenig
Photo by Meg McKenzie
Along with promoting Idaho winemakers, my goal is also to provide the wine aficionado with an honest appraisal of my (unannounced) visits to the tasting rooms of Idaho, and give you an idea of whether it might be worth your time. My unofficial rating system --☻☻☻☻☻-- is from one grape (poor) to five (excellent) based on accessibility (hours from your home/hotel room, or just around the block?), ambiance (the Walmart of wineries or a cozy vineyard setting?), my overall experience (warm and welcoming, or cold and cynical?) and, of course, the little stars of the show, the wines themselves (and trust me, they run the gamut).

So far, I've visited more than a local dozen wineries, plus shops and wine bars, and am posting my impressions on almost a daily basis, with some award-winning photos, too!

I'll also be posting local wine events as they come along. (If you know of any, please email me at idahowinegirl@gmail.com, and share any comments, too! I'd love to hear from you!)

So ... cheers! And welcome!

Meg McKenzie
Boise, Idaho
July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment